Thank you for your interest in internships with EARTH Limited and Southwick’s Zoo!
We will begin accepting applications for our 2019 Spring/Summer internship program on January 7, 2019.
Internships with EARTH Ltd and Southwick’s Zoo are a rewarding experience which provides college students and recent college graduates the chance to learn and develop valuable skills while working in a unique setting. If you have any questions regarding internships, please email or call Samantha Russak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-258-9182 ext 214.
Requirements for All Internships
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a student currently enrolled in college or a recent graduate.
- Must be able to attend internship training orientation and zoo tour in May 2019. (Summer internships only)
- Must be willing and able to work with children of varying ages, as well as adults, in a professional manner.
- Must be able to take and follow directions to maintain a safe work environment for personnel, visitors, and the animals at the zoo.
- All interns will be required to complete assignments during their internships, dependent on department.
- All interns are required to create a project for, and attend, EARTH Awareness Day on August 3, 2018. (Summer internships only)
- Interns are required to assist with EARTH Bash (date TBD) (Summer internships only)
Benefits of All Internships
- Discounts for food purchased at the zoo during work hours (does NOT apply to Galliford’s Restaurant).
- Discounts for gifts purchased at the zoo gift shop.
- Season’s pass to use for yourself and friends for entrance to the zoo on non-work days (after 2nd week of internship).
- The opportunity to gain experience and work with a great group of people!
To apply, please fill out and submit the online application along with your resume, cover letter, and three references. Documents must uploaded as pdfs.
We will begin accepting applications for our 2019 Spring/Summer internship program on January 7, 2019. Please check back soon for position descriptions.
All Interns will be responsible to their direct supervisors, in addition to Samantha Russak, Director of Education and Betsey Brewer, Executive Director of Conservation, Education, & Research.
Common questions regarding our internships are answered below. If you have any additional questions, please email Samantha Russak at: email@example.com
How long do the internships last?
Do you only offer internships during the summer when the zoo is open?
Our spring/summer internships are the most popular, however we do offer internships during the fall and winter. These internships typically focus more on caring for animals during the winter and assisting with ZooMobiles. They involve less visitor interaction since the zoo closes for the season after October. Spring Internships go from March-May; Summer Internships go from May-August; Fall internships go from August-November. Spring animal care internship positions are limited, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be currently enrolled in college or recent college graduates. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age.
Can I get time off for vacation?
All requests for vacation time must be submitted at the start of your internship. The deadline for Spring/Summer interns to request vacation time is June 9. The deadline for Fall interns to request vacation time is two weeks in advance of vacation.
What if the position I apply for is already filled?
Certain departments have fewer openings than others. If your desired position is no longer available, and we feel you are well suited for another, we may offer you an internship in another department.
Are internships paid?
Our internships are unpaid and are completed for college credit only. However, they offer valuable hands on experience in a fun environment.
Can I interview over the phone if I don’t live nearby?
We can perform interviews via Skype if you are unavailable to attend one in person. Please make a note of this when you submit your application.
What is EARTH Ltd. Awareness Day?
EARTH Awareness Day is an annual event at the zoo that takes place on the first Saturday of August. The purpose of the event is to give visitors a fun way to learn about various conservation and environmental issues. In addition to local organizations and vendors that will be located throughout the zoo, interns will be presenting their EARTH Awareness Day project. This project is a chance for interns to pick a topic that they are passionate about and share that passion with zoo visitors. The only “rule” for the project is that it needs to have an interactive component (such as a game, activity sheet, questionnaire, demonstration, etc.) so that visitors can be fully engaged with the presentation without feeling like they are simply getting a lecture. Staff in each department will help guide interns in developing and completing their projects throughout the duration of their internship.
(Note: EARTH Awareness Day is a requirement for all Spring/Summer interns)
Located at Southwick’s Zoo
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756