Junior Zookeeping is a one of a kind experience for children interested in learning more about animals and their care! EARTH Ltd works with Southwick’s Zoo to provide this program which allows children the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at how animals are cared for here at the zoo and what it takes to be a zookeeper. Junior Zookeepers assist with diet preparation, create enrichment, and more.
We offer Junior Zookeeping sessions for ages 6-9, 10-12, and 13-16.
Pricing per session
EARTH Ltd. Members: $60/child
AgesSessions are available for the following age groups:
- Children MUST wear a mask during the program
- Children must be registered online at least 24 hours in advance. Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Each session has a limited number of spots available. The registration page will show the remaining spaces for each date.
- Please read carefully and make sure you are registering your child for the appropriate age group. Each session is for a specific age group. If you register a child for the incorrect age group, your registration will be canceled and refunded.
- We recommend that children participating wear appropriate footwear, such as sneakers, for walking around the zoo.
- Children should bring a small backpack or other bag to carry a water bottle and snack.
- Pick up and drop off for Junior Zookeeping will be by the picnic tables near the parking lot.
- Please remember that this is a program for children, and parents do not accompany and participate during sessions. Junior Zookeeping does not include zoo admission or early entry into the zoo for parents/guardians of participating children, however parents are welcome to explore the zoo as a paid guest after the zoo opens at 10:00am.
Register for Junior ZooKeeping
Click the button below to visit the registration page and view the Junior Zookeeping 2020 schedule.
What does a rhino eat? How do you care for a giraffe? What is the softest herbivore in the world? What does a porcupine like to play with? Come learn about our plant-eating pals and help plan their diet, make them some enrichment, and get an up-close and personal hands on experience with some of our favorite herbivores!
Meat is on the menu! What does a lion love? What does a coati crave? What does a snake snack on? Learn how we feed our carnivorous critters and help us make them some lunch. You will also learn how the keepers entertain some of our smartest and most dangerous animals by making them enrichment. You’ll even get a chance to interact with some of our sharp toothed inhabitants.
Help us make enrichment for our monkeys to monkey around with. Pick out produce for our Patas monkeys. Primates are our closest relatives, learn how much they are like us and how they are different.
Birds are some of the smartest animals in the Animal Kingdom, so what exactly does it take to care for the closest living relatives of the dinosaurs? Why don’t they fly away? How can they talk? What can we tell about a bird by its beak? Jr ZooKeepers get to make macaw munchies, play with a parrot, and chill with a chicken. Break out of your shell and help us care for our fascinating feathered friends.
Located at Southwick’s Zoo
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756