Volunteer / Docent Program
Do you like to talk to people about animals and conservation? Are you looking for a way to contribute to EARTH Ltd and Southwick’s Zoo? Our docent volunteer program is for dedicated individuals who want to volunteer their time to help educate zoo visitors and help them create fond zoo memories!
What do our docents do?
Our docents work in many different locations throughout the zoo educating guests and answering questions. Docents act as the “answer people” within the zoo. Docents are asked many questions ranging from “Why do giraffes have purple tongues” to “What are the tigers’ names?” to “Where is the nearest restroom?” In addition to educating and assisting visitors, docents also have the opportunity to assist with certain events.
Volunteering with EARTH and Southwick’s Zoo is a rewarding experience; docents learn much about the zoo and its inhabitants, and they are part of an amazing group of individuals!
*Please be aware the docents DO NOT assist with zookeeping or animal care. Docents strictly play an educational role within the zoo.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- All applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19
- Applicants must have weekend availability. Those accepted to the volunteer/docent program must take a 10 week class taking place on Saturdays February-April to learn information about the zoo and its inhabitants. Each new docent will be mentored by a senior docent.
- Docents are asked to volunteer a minimum of 8 hours/month during the zoo’s normal season of April-October. Please note that new docents only volunteer on weekends.
- A free Family Value Pass to bring friends and family to the zoo after completing a certain number of hours
- Discounts on food and merchandise purchased at the zoo
- You’ll become a part of a great group of people and partake in a unique experience at the zoo!
How to apply
We are now accepting applications through December 31, 2022. Following application submission, you will be contacted for a phone interview. In-person interviews will be conducted in January.
Classes will be held on Saturdays from February to April. More information will be provided closer to the start of classes.
[gravityform id=24 title=false description=false ajax=true tabindex=49]
Located at Southwick’s Zoo
2 Southwick’s Street
Mendon, MA 01756
[gravityform id=25 title=false description=false ajax=true tabindex=49]